Wednesday, February 3, 2016

Study tips-

don't know about y'all, but getting back to school after summer or Christmas break is tough.
Sometimes I think I've forgotten everything I've learned. 

So I've decided to share with y'all some of my best study tips for school.

1. Write everything down. 
Yep, everything. Things like vocabulary words and definitions, plus things you might need to know for tests.

2. Ask questions. 
This has been so helpful for me, asking questions about anything I might have doubts about. Sometimes I have questions that I write down and take home and ask my parents. Super duper helpful to get insight on things that you might have doubts about!

3. Flash cards!! 
Sounds elementary, but it's so helpful!! I write terms down on one side and definitions on the other. Drilling myself after school is very helpful.

4. Label everything. 
I mean EVERYTHING. Using folders to keep your homework in is great, so you don't have to dig through your backpack to find it in your stray pieces of paper (come on, it happens to all of us). 


5. Give yourself a break. 
Seriously. Feel burnt out? Go outside for a couple minutes, take your dog for a quick walk or listen to some music. Just 5 minutes is all it takes.

6. Have a snack. 
This is the fun part. While your taking a short break whip up a smoothie, or make some pizza bites. Studying on an empty stomach is no fun. ;)

7. Go to bed earlier.
 This is a given, but it works. Charge your phone in another room so your not tempted to be on Instagram or twitter until 3am. If you use it as an alarm set it on the other side of the room so you have to get up and get it in order to shut your alarm off.

8. Download the free Focus@Will app on your phone. 
It has study music that is incredibly calming and helpful. Listen while you study, or to prepare you.

9. Study with friends.
I find that I study better by myself, but if working in a group suits you, go for it. One or two close study partners can be really helpful.

10. Find out how you learn best.
Are you a hands on learner? Then get out the clay and start making a model of the cell, complete with chromosomes and lysosomes. 
Do you learn best reading? Try flash cards.
Maybe listening is for you? Record yourself reading your book aloud and listen to it before you go to bed, or YouTube 'parts of a cell' or whatever you happen to be learning. YouTube has some amazing in-class lessons which are taught phenomenally. 

I hope this helped you. Some of the stuff in here may not be for everybody, but it works for me! :)

Xo,
Johanna

No comments:

Post a Comment